GALLOO ISLAND WIND PROJECT PROFILE
Apex Clean Energy is exploring the feasibility of constructing Galloo Island Wind, a 110 MW wind energy project in Jefferson County, New York. Galloo Island Wind is located on Galloo Island in the U.S. waters of Lake Ontario, six miles from the mainland.
Galloo Island Wind represents an attractive opportunity to generate wind energy because of its superior wind resource.
- Located in Jefferson County, New York
- Enough power for about 35,000 U.S. homes (110 MW)
- Interconnected to the mainland via underwater power cable to Oswego
- Taxpayers will be protected against decommissioning costs
- 20 years of local revenue to the taxing jurisdictions totaling over $20 million
- Will represent a significant investment in the local economy with revenues for local businesses, local government, and schools
Why Galloo Island?
When built, Galloo Island Wind will have a capacity of up to 110 MW, producing enough energy to power more than 35,000 homes every year. Representing a private investment well in excess of $200 million, Galloo Island Wind will benefit the economy of Jefferson County in the near term with construction jobs and local purchasing of materials and services. In the long term, the project promises to bring sustained municipal revenues to communities and local government, as well as 20 years of local purchasing, employment, and investment.
Galloo Island was selected after a thorough examination of many candidate sites for the following reasons:
- Verified wind resource
- Low-impact interconnection opportunity
- Previous extensive environmental review
Wind Energy for Rural America
The cost of wind energy has dropped more than 50% over the past five years, providing a cost-competitive source for clean electricity across the nation. Wind powers the equivalent of 18 million American homes each year.* Wind energy comes with many benefits, including reduced pollution, increased domestic employment, consumer cost savings, water conservation, nationwide availability, and increased community revenues.**
There are many steps in the process to completion of Galloo Island Wind, and we're very early in the process. Community input, extensive studies, engineering, permitting, and other work must be complete before construction can begin. Anticipated start date of commercial operation is 2019.
*AWEA, Wind Energy Facts at a Glance, March 2015
**Department of Energy, Wind Vision: A New Era for Wind Power in the United States, 2015